|When is National Dog Day in 2014?|
The date of National Dog Day in 2014 is on Tuesday, August 26th!
|What is National Dog Day?|
Founded in 2004, National Dog Day is celebrated on August 26th of every year. This special day regoznizes and acknowledges the import roles dogs play in our lives as they selflessly work each day to love us, protect us, and bring us comfort. Dogs are amazing animals as they are able to work side by side with police, keep blind people company, protect children, and even sniff out drugs and bombs.
This unofficial holiday was created by Colleen Paige, a pet lifestyle expert, as she was looking for a way to honor dogs more than society typically does. This day is meant to show appreciation to our dogs for their loyalty, love, compassion, and ability to positively affect our lives on a daily basis. National Dog Day also encourages the ownership of dogs, both mixed and pure breeds, around the world and calls for owners to provide their dogs with an opportunity to live a long, happy, loved, and abuse-free life. If you are also a lover of cats, there is a National Cat Day.
There are many ways to celebrate National Dog Day including:
- Adopt a dog from a local pet shelter or pet rescue
- Volunteer at your local pet shelter or pet rescue
- Donate food and toys to a local pet shelter or pet rescue
- Write a letter to your local Congressperson and encourage them to support the ban against pull mills and pet gas chambers
- Buy your dog a new toy or six
- Take your dog on an extra long walk or run on this special day
- Buy your dog a healthy birthday "cake" for dogs
- Invite all of your dog's friends over for a dog playdate
- Give your dog a massage or take them to a dog spa
- Visit the official http://www.nationaldogday.com/ to find more ways to celebrate!